I took this course as a freshman in my chemical engineering program. This course is very similar to this Coursera course. Officially called "Calculus I", the course description is as follows:
- Functions, limits, derivatives.
- Optimization, rate problems, exponentials, logarithms, inverse trigonometric functions.
- Exponential growth as an example of a differential equation.
- Fundamental Theorem of Calculus, Riemann integral.
- Applications to problems involving areas, volumes, mass, charge, work, etc.
- Integration techniques.
How Is It Useful?
Math is one of the key building blocks of data science. Calculus is essential for more advanced topics in data science such as machine learning, algorithms, and advanced statistics.1